This Boy Was Painfully Awakened in the Middle of a Sleepover by the ‘Hot Water Challenge’
Sherwood, Arkansas, teenager Nickolas Conrad is dealing with unimaginable pain and unsightly physical scars thanks to the so-called “hot water challenge.”
The 15-year-old Conrad was at a sleepover last month when six of his friends poured scalding hot water on him as he slept, leaving him with significant burns across his neck. Conrad told local television station THV11, “I felt this really bad burning on my neck and [then] I woke up and I started screaming and crying.” He continued,“It was the worst pain of my life.”
The boys’ actions were part of a dare that’s become known as the “hot water challenge,” videos of which are popular on YouTube and other social media sites. Time describes the challenge as “inspired by YouTube videos, involves pouring boiling water on an unsuspecting friend — or, in one fatal instance, daring a friend to drink boiling water through a straw.”
The following video contains images that may be disturbing to some readers.
VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED.
Though the challenge has led to several severe injuries and one death, it continues, with many kids simply not seeing the danger. For example, according to Nickolas Conrad, his friends treated the whole thing as a big game even after seeing how badly he was injured, much to his chagrin.
“I just want them to leave me alone. They’re not my friends anymore and they’re not going to be,” he explained.
No charges have been filed in the case;, however, Sergeant Keith Wilson of the Sherwood Police has said that his department is taking the event seriously. “We’re now talking with our school resource officers who are working with school administrators to educate all the students to not do this and that this is not a joke,” Wilson said. “These kids could seriously injure someone and you can be facing felony charges.”
While the police are doing their best, Nickolas Conrad’s mother Mickey puts the onus on other parents. “Don’t ever say, ‘My child won’t do that,’ and educate them, she said.
Be sure to SHARE this story to spread the word about the dangers of the “hot water challenge.”