Veterinarians Warn of Dangers of Foxtail Grass for Dogs
Pets| | By Dancy Mason
Next time you go for a walk in the park with your dog, be extra vigilant. Veterinarians are warning that a seemingly innocent-looking plant called foxtail grass can actually be quite harmful to dogs. The seeds get stuck in dogs’ ears, nose, feet, and fur, potentially leading to permanent damage and even death.
Foxtail grass is a long, thin weed found mostly in the western half of the United States. It generally grows throughout the summer. The weed looks very much like many other long grasses or reeds, making it difficult to identify. Even so, the damage that foxtails cause can be anything but invisible.
Because of the difficulty in identifying foxtails, vets are urging pet owners to be proactive and check their dogs regularly for seeds after romps in the grass. They also advise owners to shave long-haired dogs regularly. If you notice any discharge or swelling, or if your dog is limping and scratching in or around common seeding areas, you should take your pet for a checkup. Persistent sneezing is also often a sign that a foxtail seed is stuck in a dog’s nose.
If you do find a foxtail seed in your routine examination, take it out with tweezers if you can. If the seed is embedded deeply or has inflamed the surrounding skin, make sure to give your vet a call. Also consider checking for and pulling out foxtail grass from your yard, and keep your dog from running in tall, grassy areas during the summer.
Please SHARE this article with dog owners and dog lovers to spread the word about foxtail seeds. It could help keep a dog you love from danger.