Dogs Take Venomous Bites to Save Grandchildren From Deadly Snake
Lifestyle| | By Jason Owen
Two dogs are being praised for their quick instincts after a venomous snake slithered toward a Florida woman’s grandchildren and nearly bit them. Melissa Butt’s 1- and 3-year-old grandchildren were playing in the front yard of their home when suddenly Butt’s 9-month old puppy, Paco, began barking frantically behind them. At that point, Butt’s 3-year-old pit bull-mix, Slayer, rushed over killing the snake. The children were unharmed thanks to the quick action of the dogs.
“I think it would have been much worse had that snake gotten my grandkids instead of my big dog,” Butt told Inside Edition. “Mallory is less than 2 years old and had she been bitten I think it would have been a completely different story we’d be telling.” The family discovered it was a copperhead snake. The snakes have a tendency to freeze instead of fleeing when humans are around, which can often lead to bites when a human steps on them. How dangerous the situation could have been became apparent when an hour later both dogs began to experience massive swelling. The puppy, Paco, on his leg, and Slayer’s face and jaw swelled. Butt rushed the animals to a local veterinarian at Blue Pearl Hospital where they were administered anti-venom. Paco’s wounds were not as serious and the dog was released that day. Slayer, unfortunately, had to be receive a second dose of anti-venom and stay overnight after his injuries were discovered to be more severe. Slayer was soon released as well. A local charity, Frankie’s Friends, helped cover the costs of the treatment. Butt said she is just thankful Slayer lived up to his name when the time for it was right.
“That’s what he does. He will put himself in the front whenever he thinks the family is in danger,” Butt told Inside Edition. “I do feel as small as my grandkids are, it could have been life-threatening for my grandbabies. Slayer’s my boy.”
Share On Facebook