Forget Pumpkins; Carve Yourself Delicious Jack-O-Lantern Stuffed Peppers This Halloween
Food| | By Jason Owen
Sure jack-o-lanterns are nice, but within a few weeks time, those beautiful orange pumpkins are going to be brown piles of mush sitting on your porch. This year, why not try carving up a different veggie that will go in your belly, not on the porch?
Thanks to YouTube channel Delish, they offer a quick tutorial on a fun Halloween-themed dinner great for the whole family: Jack-O-Lantern Stuffed Peppers.
Full directions listed below.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut off (and reserve) the top of each pepper. Remove and discard the cores and seeds. Using a sharp paring knife, carve a Jack O’Lantern face into each pepper. Drizzle the inside of each pepper with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Place the peppers upright in a large baking dish along with the pepper tops.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet. Sauté onions until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beef and sauté until browned and cooked through, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon. Turn off the heat and drain the fat.
- Return skillet to stovetop over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir in the chili powder. Add the fire-roasted tomatoes, 1/2 cup chicken stock, cooked rice and 3/4 cup of cheese. Stir until the mixture is evenly combined.
- Divide rice and beef mixture between the hollowed out peppers. Top with cheese.
- Pour remaining 1/2 cup chicken stock into pan. Cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for another 10-15 minutes, until the peppers are tender and the cheese is melted.
4 orange bell peppers
extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1 Onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. chili powder
1 lb. ground beef
1 c. cooked white rice
1 c. chicken stock, divided
1 (15 oz) can fire-roasted tomatoes
1 c. shredded Monterey Jack, divided
Want more? How about this delicious Cheesy Italian Chicken Recipe?